On 19 November 1792, the then American President George Washington appointed Benjamin Joy, a businessman from Newburyport, Massachusetts, as the first American Consul to India.With the advice of the then Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson, later the third President of the United States and consent of the Senate, President Washington commissioned Joy to that office on 21 November 1792.When the building was demolished and built as a modern six-storied building, now known as Dare House, the U. Consulate continued its tenancy by occupying the fourth floor of the building in October 1940. Bower became the last consul and the first consul general in Madras in independent India. relations after Independence, the Consulate General required a purpose-built structure to accommodate a diversity of activities such as library services, cultural programming, educational exchange, visas, American citizen services and development assistance, along with the ancient standby, trade promotion.With India gaining independence, the American diplomatic post in Madras was officially raised to a Consulate General on 15 August 1947, marking a milestone in the bilateral relationship between the two countries. Five years later, in the 1950s, the Consulate General moved to a building on Mount Road (the present day Anna Salai), currently occupied by the Bank of America. For this purpose, the Consulate General leased out a parcel of land on the Gemini Circle from the Church of South India to build its own building.The American architect hired to design the building traveled around South India in search of inspiration before zeroing in on the final theme. Krishnan, who accompanied Lamantia on his architectural quest in Tamil Nadu and parts of Andhra Pradesh, Lamantia, whose roots were in Don Quixote's village, chose the architecture of the traditional houses of Thanjavur and Chettinad to blend with the American style in his design plan.
The Consulate General building is located at 220 Anna Salai, and abuts the Oxford University Press building.It is ranked among the top globally in issuing 'L' and 'H' category visas for workers and professionals and is ranked eighth globally in terms of all category of visas being issued, along with the ones in Mumbai and New Delhi coming within the top 10 globally in the volume of visas.The number of visa applications processed at the Consulate increased threefold between 19.An increasing middle-class population in the region who intend to travel abroad, increase in demand for skilled workforce in the United States, and the transformation of the Indo–U. relationship led to an increase in visa demand in the Chennai consular district in recent years.The demand for non-immigrant visas in Chennai increased by more than 80 percent between 20, peaking at around 280,000 in 2007.The Consulate conducts an average of 1,200 to 1,400 interviews every day, which has gone up to 1,800 in a day, with an average refusal rate of 20 percent.Till 2005, the fraud prevention unit (FPU) of the Chennai Consulate General was home base for the India country coordinator for consular fraud-prevention programs, a position later transferred to the embassy in New Delhi.On 3 January 1969, the Consulate General moved to its present location on the Gemini Circle, The American consulate building was designed by Burk, Lebreton and Lamantia of New Orleans, combining the American architecture of the 1960s and features of traditional South Indian architecture.The architecture of the consulate building was inspired from the traditional houses of Thanjavur and Karaikudi.This enabled people seeking visa appointments in New Delhi and Calcutta even if they traditionally live in the Chennai consular district.The Chennai Consulate serves the Chennai consular district, which includes the states of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala, and the union territories of Lakshadweep, Puducherry, and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. citizens with assistance and support in aspects such as passport replacement, CRBA, notarials, registration in embassy ward system, renewal of passport, and so forth.