The earliest items made were of a glassy paste but some bone ash was added about 1758 around the early years of the gold anchor period.
Marks can generally be relied on but quite a lot of “gold anchor” marked pieces fakes or copies are seen.
The Chelsea factory was started in the town of that name by Nicholas Sprimont who, up until then, had been one of the Huguenot silversmiths in London.
Right from the very start Sprimonts glassy type of porcelain was aimed at the upper classes and so only a very small amount of underglaze blue decorated Chelsea is found.
Items included under this category will be Stoneware pieces that stamped Royal Doulton; Doulton Lambeth; Doulton Silicon; Doulton Slaters.
This category will include recognised artists including George Tinworth, Barlow family (inc Hannah, Florence, Arthur & Lucy) and Eliza Simmance.
The three basic English porcelains can loosely be called glassy, soapy or bony.
Marks during this times include a gold anchor, an intertwined anchor and D and a crown and anchor.
The alternative formula for soft paste porcelain was first made in Europe by the Medicis in Florence in 1575, and later made in France from the latter part of the 17th C at Rouen.
Then in the 18th C by St Cloud, Mennency, Chantilly, Vincennes and Sevres.
Royal Doulton produced tableware and collectibles starting in 1815, originally operating in London.
Though a latecomer compared to other similar companies such as Wedgewood and Royal Crown Derby, its reputation managed to grow and it is still recognized as one of the top producers of fine giftware, porcelain, glassware, and collectibles.