Home / file parsed but not updating / Copenhagen dating

Copenhagen dating

Oeder was fired in 1771 in connection with the Johann Friedrich Struensee affair.

In 1778 both gardens were closed when the king reacquired the land at Amaliegade and at the same time donated a tract of land behind Charlottenborg Palace for the establishment of a new and larger botanical garden.

), usually referred to simply as Copenhagen Botanical Garden, is a botanical garden located in the centre of Copenhagen, Denmark.

It covers an area of 10 hectares and is particularly noted for its extensive complex of historical glasshouses dating from 1874.

The preceding year Christian VII had donated 2,500 thaler to the University, the interest from which would be used for the Botanical Garden.

The smaller western section, covering just under half a hectare, was equipped with a greenhouse while the eastern section remained largely unplanted. In 1770 part of Oeder's Garden was put at the disposal of the University's botanical garden.It rested upon the professor in residence to maintain the garden, irrespective of which chair he held.In 1621 Ole Worm personally took over the responsibility for the garden and he enriched it with a great number of Danish medicinal plants as well as rare foreign species he received from his many professional contacts abroad.The Palm House at its centre is 16 metres tall and has narrow, cast-iron spiral stairs leading to a passageway at the top.Plants include a palm from 1824 and a fine collection of cycads, some of which are more than 100 years old.Among his initiatives was the establishment of a new section dedicated to Danish species, holding 570 species, and improved cataloguing of plants and seeds. During this phase the garden became still more cramped and it became evident that another expansion was needed.The botanical gardens got its current location in 1870. His inspiration was that of the glass building the Crystal Palace that was erected for the Great Exhibition in London in 1851.Plans for this garden received royal approval on 22 July 1778.It was to have two directors, one appointed by the University and the other by the King.There are conservatories, a museum and herbarium, a library (admission by appointment only) a shop plants, seeds and a small selection of garden equipment and eating place.The botanical gardens contain more than 13,000 species.

813 comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*